January 21, 2013

All That Work

Knowing how much time and love goes into creating something with your hands only makes me admire it even more.   So when I see something handmade, particularly a needlepoint piece it makes me stop and think, what was the person like who made it, how many hours did it take to complete, where did he/she use it?

At the end of the summer I found two needlepoint pieces at a garage sale. I wasn't sure what I would do with them but for only two dollars a piece I couldn't pass them up knowing the time that went into making them.  So I brought them home, had them dry cleaned and hung them in my guest closet to wait for inspiration :)

Recently, I painted a frame and it dawned on me that I could use it for one of the pieces.   Here is my new picture with its new life in my living room.




Needlepoint piece.
Look at all those stitches!


Stapled along the four sides on the back of frame




Placed cardboard backing from frame down in place.  I trimmed and stapled the canvas in place and
then covered the entire back with brown craft paper.  Sorry forgot to take pic :(


Finished needlepoint picture





Does anyone else think about the history of a found object?




I'm partying with:














4 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! I used to needlepoint! Maybe I should again!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should start making beautiful things again :) Thanks so much for stopping by. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beauty! And yes, I often wonder about the story behind pieces that come into my life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to know I'm not the only one. Thanks Sharon for hosting such great parties, I always look forward to reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete